Sunday, July 10, 2016

S3e7- The Indians in the Lobby (J'accuse, mon petite fromage!)


I say this to my wife as often as I can.  It's my favorite little scene in this whole episode, which has interesting tidbits about the calculation of the poverty line, international relations as it pertains to extradition and the death penalty, and the mistreatment of Native Americans.  But to be honest with you, I enjoy this episode for this moment and the entirety of the Butterball Hotline because sometimes you just need to laugh, and this week- I've just needed a laugh.  A break from the seriousness of the world and the problems we face.  My heart has been heavy with thought, despair and concern- and it was nice to have a bit of respite.

For some reason, Aaron Sorkin has very holiday-centric themes: Christmas is inspirational and family oriented, and Thanksgiving is funny.  Let's not forget this gem from "Shibboleth":


And then.... we have the Butterball Hotline.



Highlights?
- "I'm Joe Betherson...sen. That's one 't', and with an 'h' in there."
- "If I cook [the stuffing] inside the turkey, is there a chance I could kill my guests? I'm not saying
that's necessarily a deal-breaker."

And yes, he needs to get better at the names.

Now, on to the Stockbridge-Munsee Indians.  If only the treatment these two characters (both portrayed by fairly prominent members of the Canadian Native American film/television acting world) was fictional.   Even a cursory glance at the impact of the Dawes Act on Native American tribes is distressing.  However, in the midst of the darkness of this week's events, this episode ends with a very simple reminder of how we all should be thinking:

C.J.: How do you keep fighting these smaller injustices when they're all from the Mother of Injustices?

MAGGIE- What's the alternative?


Absolutely.


What's Next?  S3e8- The Women of Qumar

Like what you've read?  Click on those little buttons to share this blog via facebook, twitter, email, etc!


No comments:

Post a Comment