Monday, March 7, 2016

S1e13- Take out the Trash Day (I won't say that word.)

Oh, Leo.  

The President is worried about Leo seeing someone named Simon Blye, but Leo comes to this fellow Simon's defense, telling him that he has been a good friend.  Well, Leo was wrong.  He's not a good friend, he's a silly jerk with a silly accent and a silly name.  

Leo, realizing that Simon Blye is a jerk.

Simon Blye, the jerk.

Sorry, I strongly dislike anyone who isn't nice to Leo.  Why?  For so many reasons.  In this episode, it's because he continues to have faith in people after he gets crushed by it. 

Later in the episode, Toby's assistant; Ginger,  discovers who leaked the information about Leo's stay at the Sierra-Tucson Rehabilitation Facility (and gets no credit whatsoever- what's up with that?!), and Sam fires the leaker.  Let's keep in mind that this employee has put Leo through the ringer- publicly.  Leo meets with her, and after talking to her and hearing her story, ends up complimenting her ("I'm not sure it wasn't a little bit brave") and gives her a second chance.  In the process, he also gives a terrific explanation about addiction- again, Sorkin and John Spencer (who plays Leo) both spoke from experience.  

The only other thing I'm going to write about today is the Lydells.  We heard about their son, Lowell's death in S1e10, In Excelsis Deo, and also learned that the administration was unsure about Hate Crimes legislation.  It seems that certainty has been found, because the President is about to sign legislation into law.  The Lydells are invited to the bill signing, but there is uncertainty with regard to Mr. Lydell's support of the President, his comfort with having had a gay son and the bill in general.  After an uncomfortable exchange, CJ asks him directly about his support.  He responds:

"The hate crimes bill is fine. Who gives a damn? It's fine. I don't care. If you ask me, we shouldn't 
be making laws against what's in a person's head but who gives a damn? I don't understand 
how this President, who I voted for, I don't understand how he can take such a completely 
weak-ass position on gay rights.  Gays in the military, same-sex marriage, gay adoption, boards 
of education - where the hell is he? I want to know what qualities necessary to being a 
parent this President feels my son lacked? I want to know from this President, who has 
served not one day in Vietnam - I had two tours in Vietnam. I want to know what qualities 
necessary to being a soldier this President feels my son lacked? Lady, I'm not embarrassed 
my son was gay. My government is."

Now please don't get me wrong- The West Wing is my favorite television show ever, and I have a picture of President Bartlet in my living room.  But I will say that one of the challenges of watching this show is recognizing that though time has passed, things have not necessarily improved- the West Wing presented a idealized (though at times imperfect) liberal presidency, and often times the West Wing world served as a vehicle to point out what was still wrong with the real world.  This father's words were incredibly impactful in 2000- striking at the core of the inequality that existed at the time for members of the LBGTQ community.  Let's see how we're doing with those issues he brought up:
  • Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed on September 20, 2011.
  • On June 26, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled in Obergefell v. Hodges that the fundamental right to marry was guaranteed to same-sex couples.
  • In 2013, the Every Child Deserves a Family Act stated that federally funded Adoption Agencies are forbidden by law to discriminate against same-sex couples or anyone who identifies as LBGTQ.  However, private adoption agencies are another matter.
I'm not sure about what the last item on Mr. Lydell's list means (Boards of Education), but it should be celebrated that this episode aired on January 26, 2000, and sixteen years later many of the shortcomings listed have improved dramatically.  For all the times that we will watch an episode of the West Wing and worry about the lack of progress, these advancements need to be recognized and celebrated.  I'm not saying that The West Wing is responsible for creating change, but I'm comfortable stating that it was the change we wanted to see in the real world.

Thanks, Obama, the Notorious RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsberg), and all the other hardworking members of political and advocacy groups who saw this progress across the finish line!

What's Next?  S1e14- Take This Sabbath Day

Like what you've read?  Click on those little buttons to share this blog via facebook, twitter, email, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment