Wednesday, March 16, 2016

S1e19- Let Bartlet Be Bartlet (Learning is delightful and delicious- as, by the way, am I.)

I have a confession to make: Ive been editing out my negative feelings about Mandy from this blog.  I didn't complain when she wore a beret, I didn't complain when she asked if Abraham Lincoln was the Lincoln someone was referring to, and I didn't complain when she wanted to take on a republican candidate in addition to her work for the President.  

I even spoke up on her behalf here, saying that the writers aren't doing her any favors.  However, now we're 19 episodes in, Trump Drumpf just won the Florida primary and I need to really immerse myself in this world, but it's raining outside the White House (and we know it only rains in the West Wing when the cast isn't happy), and despite my attempts to be supportive, I'm convinced it's all Mandy's fault.  

When an old memo in which Mandy is critical of Bartlet and Leo resurfaces, I'm unable to separate reality from entertainment, actors from characters and writers from dialogue.  I'm incapable of having a rational, calm reaction to this memo.   I feel betrayed by Mandy and her memo, and I'm none too happy with Danny for writing about it in his paper.  I'm taking it on the chin with this memo, and my typing has become very loud.  The dog is concerned.

Then, I see the frustration on the face of Sam as he has a meeting on gays in the military that is a waste of everyone's time.  I hear Josh snapping at Donna, who has found a way to make James Madison relevant to a debate on making English the National Language.  Even Mrs. Landingham is getting sassy, telling the president to eat his leafy greens and stop complaining! 

All of a sudden, though, in the last 5 minutes of this episode, the brakes on my brain screech my negativity to a halt, as I realize we should be thankful for Mandy.  Because this damn memo is the needle that breaks the camel's back.  Wait- what is the camel?  I've been talking since the beginning of this blog about this sense of impending doom hanging over the White House.  It was present in the retirement of the Supreme Court Justice, and it's emerged a few more times- this notion that the President has moved to a more centrist, moderate position since being elected; a great contrast to his campaign.  Mandy's memo is nothing new, except it blames Leo for moving the administration to the middle, when in reality, it's the President who is overly cautious.  It's the President who has to make a change.

Then, it happens.  

BARTLET: I don’t want to feel like this anymore.
LEO: You don’t have to.
BARTLET: I don’t want to go to sleep like this.
LEO: You don’t have to.
BARTLET: I want to speak.
LEO: Say it out loud. Say it to me.
BARTLET: This is more important than reelection. I want to speak now.
LEO: Say it again.
BARTLET: This is more important than reelection. I want to speak now.
LEO: Now we’re in business!
BARTLET: What’s happening?
LEO: We got our asses kicked in the first quarter, and it’s time we move up the mat. 
BARTLET: Yes!
LEO: Say it.
BARTLET: This is more important than reelection. I want to speak now.
LEO: I’m gonna talk to the staff. I’m gonna take them off the leash.
BARTLET: You have a strategy for all this?
LEO: I have the beginnings of one.
BARTLET: What is it?
LEO: I’m gonna try that out for a little while.



BAM.               
(and by the way, awesomely distinctive penmanship from Leo!)

And just like that, we're naming our own candidates to the FEC, we're going to run headlong at issues, we're not going to be afraid of fights, we're going to bed energized, James Madison will be our homeboy and  we're going to eat salads and steaks, Mrs. Landingham!

Seriously, when Sam, Toby, Josh and CJ go around in a circle saying that they serve at the pleasure of the President (and by the way, a smile would have killed you, Toby?), I get a bit choked up.  The only reason I don't actually get to tears is because the music is just 3% too cheesy.  But it's ok.  Because we've got purpose, we've got a President who is going to lead rather than hedge, and because we have a President who is a pleasure to serve.

So, somewhat begrudgingly, I need to say: 

Thanks, Mandy.

What's next?  S1e20- Mandatory Minimums 

Like what you've read?  Click on those little buttons to share this blog via facebook, twitter, email, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment